FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Volunteering

 

1. Where can I find details about an event? Who, what, where, when, and why? All information pertaining to an event can be found via the Upcoming Events section of the website. Please select the event that you would like to attend to learn of all the details.


2. Can my kids volunteer? It depends.. Some events, like those involving food service are strictly 18+ for liability purposes, while others are kid friendly. Please make sure to review the event description thoroughly to see if there are any age restrictions before registering.


3. I have a great idea for a charitable initiative. Would you like to work together? Yes, absolutely! We encourage our volunteers and business partners to communicate any charitable ideas they may have to us! Please e-mail kevin@barberafoundation.org and we will be in touch!


4. My son/daughter is in school and in need of volunteer hours. Will you approve their hours? Yes! Simply send the volunteer form via e-mail to kevin@barberafoundation.org he will sign off on the hours.


5. ​I would like to help beyond the volunteer opportunities. Are there any employment opportunities available? Yes! We are actively seeking to hire employees to help further our mission. Please contact careers@barberafoundation.org and we will be in touch with you shortly.


6. How can I stay in the loop on your upcoming events? The best way to stay in the loop on upcoming events is by following us on social media and subscribing to our monthly e-mail newsletter! Please find links to all websites below:

E-mail Newsletter
Facebook Group
Facebook Page
Instagram 
Twitter
LinkedIn

 


Donations & Financial Information

 

1. Why do you charge for events? Ticket sales go towards supporting the particular event, various fundraising initiatives, and overhead expenses that the Barbera Foundation incurs. For example, ticket sales from a dinner at a homeless shelter will go towards supporting the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society, and will also go to cover some of the admin expenses of the Barbera Foundation (for example business insurance). In a nutshell, it is a "kill two birds with one stone" approach: Volunteers donate their time by cleaning national parks, serving dinner to the homeless, etc. while simultaneously donating money to support the Barbera Foundation and other fundraising initiatives. Please review our financials here for more information on how every $1 is spent. 


2. Can I get a refund? Unfortunately, our policy is no refunds. However, in the case where an event is cancelled, then yes this may be a possibility.


3. I would like to donate and/or purchase a ticket to an event. How much of my donation will be allocated to program costs (i.e. charitable causes)? How much to overhead expenses (management & general, fundraising, administrative expenses)? Our goal at the Barbera Foundation is to run a lean operation and allocate as much of your donation to charitable causes as possible. It is important to point out, that in order to sustain our mission and grow our influence, we incur overhead expenses. On average, non-profit organizations spend about 65%-70% on program costs, with the remaining 30%-35% allocated to overhead costs. At Barbera Foundation our goal is to keep overhead costs below 15-20% and have 80%-85% go to program costs. To learn more about what overhead is and how Barbera Foundation compares to other non-profit foundations in this regard, please click here.


4. I am a local business owner and want to give back to the community. How can I help? We rely heavily on our corporate sponsors to advance the mission of the Barbera Foundation. Please visit our sponsor page to learn more about how you can get involved and how giving back to the community, with the help of The Barbera Foundation, can help to grow your business. 


5. Where can I find more information on your financials? Transparency is incredibly important to us at the Barbera Foundation. As a result, on a quarterly basis, we will post an Excel spreadsheet titled "donation tracker" which documents all of the donations we have received along with various expenses incurred. In addition to the donation tracker, we also post a PowerPoint file titled "Barbera Foundation Receipts" which includes receipts from all purchases of the Barbera Foundation. Both of these documents are updated on a monthly basis.

6. Is my donation tax deductible? The Barbera Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.

MISSION

To promote positive change by inspiring others to engage in the community and help those less fortunate.  

Follow us on Social Media!

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

CONTACT

info@barberafoundation.org

P.O. Box 2293 Reston, VA 20195

© 2023 by Barbera Foundation,

a 501 (c)(3) Non-Profit Organization