Time & Location
About The Event
Warm Feet, Warm Hearts, Give SOCKS! - Warming the hearts of the homeless 2 feet at a time!
Socks are the single most-needed article of clothing among the homeless community and remain the least-donated items! Especially during winter months, keeping your feet warm with a good pair of socks can go a long way in preventing hypothermia for those living on the streets.
According to the results of the annual Point-in-Time Count — a regional census of the homeless population conducted every year on a single night in January — there were 6,904 homeless people in D.C and 1,059 in Fairfax County. (A total of just under 8,000).
Let's do our part to ensure that ALL the homeless people in our community have a pair of good socks to wear!
Our goal is to raise a total of 10,000 pairs of socks for the homeless!
If you are reading this, chances are that you would like to donate your new and/or used socks to support the homeless. You came to the right place! All you need to do is simply register for this event, and we will send you more details about the specific location and how to get involved.
Note: This may seem obvious, but please make sure to wash your socks before donating them at the sock drive. Also we will only accept gently used socks and/or new socks. No holes please. Please put all of your socks in plastic bags before donating.
I am 100% confident that if we all individually do our part, we won't have any trouble meeting this goal. If you would like to assist in this effort beyond an in-kind donation, please feel free to take a look at different opportunities below. Registration for all of these events can be done via: www.barberafoundation.org/upcomingevents
- Fundraiser: Don't have used socks, can't make it to an event, still interested in helping out? Please make a financial donation and we will purchase and deliver socks to the homeless on your behalf!
- Delivery: Interested in helping to deliver socks to various homeless shelters in Washington, DC., Northern, VA, and in person to those actually living on the streets? We need your help!
- Purchasing: We will be receiving financial donations to support this initiative. As a result, I will need help when I purchase the socks in large quantities at Wal-Mart and/or Costco. Want to lend a hand as we fill carts full of socks and get funny looks from fellow shoppers? (LOL)
- Event Promotion: Help to spread awareness of this event by passing out fliers with me and other volunteers at Tyson's Mall. Bubble tea is on me after we are done :)
- Social Media: Follow us on social media and like/share our posts to spread awareness of this and other events:
-E-mail Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/c-Q1jL
-Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Barberafoundation/?ref=bookmarks
-Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BarberaFoundation/
Thanks for your help and all that you do to make our community a better place to live.
Make an impact, and be a part of something bigger than yourself!
- Sock Out Homelessness- Drive 1$0$00$0